Holy Week and Easter
Holy Week and Easter Schedule 2019
- April 14 – Palm Sunday
- 7:45, Spoken Eucharist
- 8:45, Family Eucharist
- 10:45 Sung Holy Eucharist
- April 18 – Maundy Thursday
- 6 pm, Potluck Dinner
- 7 pm, Foot Washing, Eucharist & Stripping of the Altar
- 8 pm to Midnight, The Watch at the Altar of Repose
- April 19 – Good Friday
- 11 am, The Way of the Cross for Children
- 12 pm, Stations of the Cross
- 7 pm, Good Friday Liturgy with Reserve Sacrament
- April 21 – Easter Day
- 6:30 am, Ecumenical Sunrise Service, Hopkinton State Park, Marina Area
- 7:45 am, Spoken Eucharist
- 8:45 and 10:45 am, Festival Eucharist (Identical Services)
- 9:55 am, Easter Egg Hunt for Children
We hope that you’ll join us for the most solemn 8 days in Christianity—Holy Week and Easter. We begin with Palm Sunday on April 14 with the joy of ushering Jesus in as the promised king through waving palms and shouting Hosannas. We process into the church from our Parish Hall and then hear a reading of the Passion, lifting our voices once again with the crowd, though this time asking for Jesus’ death.
The great liturgies of Holy Week continue with Maundy Thursday with Jesus’ new commandment to love calling for our attention through the beauty of foot washing. We begin at 6pm with a simple shared supper, and our liturgy with foot washing begins at 7pm We end the evening with the stripping of the altar and leaving in near darkness. You are welcome to “Watch and Pray with Jesus” in half hour blocks from 8pm to 12 midnight in our side chapel.
On Good Friday we meet at 11 am for a special stations of the cross reading for kids which includes the snuffing of candles. We end with the “15th Station” of Jesus’ resurrection so kids know what is to come on Easter. At noon we do the Stations for Adults processing from station to station in the nave of our church with music. At 7pm we partake in the solemn Good Friday liturgy with communion from the reserved sacrament.
Our week concludes on the 8th day with Jesus’ mighty resurrection on Easter Day—April 21! Services are a lakeside sunrise service at 6:30 at Hopkinton State Park with all the churches of Southborough. We have a spoken liturgy at 7:45 am, and then identical Festival Eucharists at 8:45 and 10:45 am. At 9:50am we hold an Easter Egg Hunt for kids!